- Depression often experienced as a sense of hopelessness, rage, or hostility
- Recent breakup or divorce
- Post-traumatic Stress / PTSD
- Current suicidal thoughts, intent, plan, access to means
- Previous suicide attempt or attempts
- Alcohol/Substance Abuse
- Previous mental health challenges
- Impulsivity / Poor self-control
- Recent loss - physical, financial, personal
- Recently discharged
- Family history of suicide
- History of abuse (physical, sexual, or emotional)
- Other health problems, especially worsening symptoms
- Over 65 years of age or young adults, unmarried, white, male, living alone
- Legal or administrative problems
- Positive therapeutic relationships
- Positive coping skills
- Having close family or community connections
- Grounding tools like those offered in the PTSD Coach Application and Seeking Safety manual are helpful in gaining control over pain (See resource page).
- Reaching out for help when you need it like calling texting, or engaging in e-mail chat with the Veteran's Crisis Line.
- Veteran's Crisis Line : (800)273-8255
- Veterans press 1
- Non veterans should also use this line.